United. Coast to coast… to coast
April 22, 2013
Spring has sprung!
For many across this country it has been a long wait for spring. Patience is a great virtue, and in conjunction with determination, it proves to be a good investment. Our brothers and sisters at UBCP/ACTRA certainly know this all too well, having recently concluded negotiations for the British Columbia Master Production Agreement (BCMPA) after a marathon year and a half of bargaining.
A solid deal was achieved and soundly ratified by the membership. The union fought off Producer demands for massive concessions, and gained a 1.5% increase in each of the next two years.
Notes of congratulations from all across Canada flew to UBCP/ACTRA President, Alvin Sanders. In the midst of an industry that has been virtually abandoned by their provincial government, it took courage to stand up to the Hollywood studios. We at ACTRA were honoured to stand in solidarity with UBCP/ACTRA throughout. They were at the table in our negotiations, and we were at the table with them. We had each others’ backs.
As actors we know how to work collaboratively, but we also understand the incredibly competitive nature of our industry. It takes serious backbone to hold strong and resist studio and producer attempts to divide us. I am incredibly proud of the work we did together over the past year, and I am looking forward to continuing to build that bond that reaches across this country, from coast to coast, to present a strong and united front in all future negotiations.
ACTRA National President
Archives of President’s Messages
- February 1, 2013 – Moving fast forward in 2013!
- December 3, 2012 – New Independent Production Deal
- September 24, 2012 – FIA Congress
- September, 2012 – Labour Day
- July, 2012 – Performers United
- January, 2012 – Passion for Collective Bargaining United we stand; divided we beg
- September, 2011 – Labour Day Message
- July, 2011 – Member-Activists Stepping Up
- February, 2011 – Standing Tall Down Under
- January, 2011 – Fast Forward
- September, 2010 – Adaptability
- June, 2010 – President’s Video Message (video)
- June, 2010 – The Future is Yesterday
- April, 2010 – CRTC TV Policy: the new score – Cancon: 2; Broadcasters: 3
- March, 2010 – COURAGE – who has it, who wants it and who needs it
- February, 2010 – President’s Video Message (video)
- December, 2009 – Our TV: The fight of the decade
- November, 2009 – Our TV
- October 1, 2009 – President’s Video Message (video)
- August 25, 2009 – Blame greed for your cable bill blues
- August 2009 – Common Cause
- June 2009 – Fuelled with Optimism and Dreaming Big