At the request of the ACTRA Stunt Performers Committee, we have created this resource to provide some specific information for stunt performers and coordinators. In addition to these tools we have now created a new position at ACTRA PRS, the Stunt Liaison. From this point forward, if you are a Stunt Performer and have any questions or issues please forward your emails to our Stunt Liaison Tony Walsh (email@example.com) or call our dedicated Stunt phone line at 416-644-1510. Having all stunt related queries go through one point person willÂ help us serve the Stunt Community more efficiently and help you find solutions faster.
Understanding your Use Fee payments
Click here for a detailed explanation on the three types of Use Fee compensation.
Royalty payments are calculated by ACTRA PRS on a production-by-production basis for each performer. Click here for more.
Check here for a breakdown of residual payments for theatrical, television and other uses.
ACTRA PRS Service Charge
When ACTRA PRS was incorporated, the ACTRA PRS Board (ACTRAâ€™s National Executive), agreed that until ACTRA PRS was able to be fully self-sufficient, the ACTRA membership would be charged a service fee of 8.25%. This fee is currently 5%. A performer who is not a member of ACTRA in good standing is charged a 25% service charge at that time of an ACTRA PRS disbursement. ACTRAâ€™s membership approved these services charges in a referendum.
The decision to add a service charge to ACTRA PRS, a department which does not benefit in any way from membership dues, was not taken lightly by any of the elected members or senior staff involved. However, it is essential to allow ACTRA PRS to conduct its business more aggressively and to pursue money owed to the membership.
PRS & No Known Address (NKA) Payments
PRS wants to get your residuals to you without delay.Â This section outlines how PRS deals with monies when there is â€śno known addressâ€ť for a performer or a residual cheque sent is not cashed.
What is the â€śNKAâ€ť Account?
When residual payments are issued to performers and are returned or are undeliverable as a result of outdated performer contact information, or cheques are sent but are not cashed, the funds are retained in a â€śNo Known Addressâ€ť or NKA account.
Does PRS have any of your residuals in the NKA account?
If you have moved, and have not updated address information, or perhaps your agent is holding onto a cheque, or you have an old â€śstale-datedâ€ť chequeâ€ť, PRS is holding those funds.
PRS has a searchable â€śDo We Have Your Moneyâ€ť feature on the site for performers to see if PRS is holding money for them.Â Please check it regularly!Â Itâ€™s your money.
How do I get my residuals out of the NKA account? And, how long do I have to collect the monies?
Funds are held in trust until PRS can locate the performer or the performer makes contact with PRS.
As soon as you find out that PRS is holding residuals for you or someone you know, please contact ACTRA PRS at 416-644-1516 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
PRS is held to strict standards by ACTRAâ€™s Constitution (Article 10 â€“ 1003 Fees) in handling NKAs which can be found here http://www.actra.ca/main/wp-content/uploads/Constitution-Dec-15-2010.pdf
What can you do to get your money on time?
- PERFORMERS MUST KEEP THEIR CONTACT INFORMATION WITH PRS UP TO DATE!
- Cash any residual cheques promptly
- NKAs can easily be avoided by signing up for PRSâ€™ direct deposit option.Â You will receive your money faster along with a statement describing your payment sent straight to your email account. Save these statements for quick electronic transfer to your tax professional.
- You may download the Direct Deposit Authorization form here Direct Deposit Form
- In the event of your death, clear instructions on your wishes as to the disbursement of your residuals are important.Â Your estate/beneficiaries are entitled to these payments for as long as your work is shown, worldwide.Â PRS has included specific information hereÂ Estates to ensure your loved ones receive the benefit of the residuals payments you worked hard to earn.Â This information is also helpful for those administering performersâ€™ estates.
Note: It is an extremely time consuming and expensive process to administer and track NKAs which is ultimately paid for with membersâ€™ administration fees.Â PRS would prefer to divert these efforts in pursuing non-compliant Engagers for money they owe you.
May 2010 â€“ Letter in response to questions from Stunt Community