HAVEN Helpline & LifeWorks
HAVEN Helpline is a counselling and support service. If you are in immediate danger, please call 911.
Harassment and Violence Emergency Network
A national, bilingual critical incident reporting line available to members of ACTRA and the Directors Guild of Canada (DGC).
- 24/7 bilingual critical incident reporting line
- Confidential counselling services
- Professional support staff available through Morneau Shepell
- Incident report will be forwarded to the union for follow up with member’s permission
HAVEN Helpline is operated by Morneau Shepell, the leading provider of assistance programs in Canada specializing in providing mental, physical, social and financial well-being support services. When you call, you will be auto-prompted to select: your union affiliation, your Branch, and the reason for your call. You will then be transferred to a professional support staff person who will ask you to provide:
- Your contact information (name, phone and/or email);
- The province in which the incident took place;
- Name of the production where the incident took place;
- Brief outline of what happened.
With your permission, your information will be forwarded to the appropriate ACTRA branch office. You can expect a union representative to contact you before the end of the next business day. During your call, you can be immediately referred to counselling or set up a counselling appointment for a later date.
- Morneau Shepell’s LifeWorks app offers web chat, total well-being resources and special retail discounts.
- Lifeworks can be accessed through the web or by downloading the free app available in both the Apple App Store and Google Play store.
- If you did not receive the email from ACTRA inviting you to join LifeWorks, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to get your log-in details.
Enhanced Member services during COVID-19 health crisis
With many thanks to AFBS, we are pleased to announce enhanced services available to ACTRA members through HAVEN Helpline and the LifeWorks app during this COVID-19 pandemic:
Online Counselling Support: Short-term assistance is available to help members in this challenging time. ACTRA Members may request a counsellor from a specific race/ethnicity, religion or LGBTQIA+ community for short-term counselling. There are significant inequities related to how individuals experience the world and, as such, Morneau Shepell will accommodate such requests when they are clinically appropriate and conducive to a safe and positive counselling experience.
Emergency Financial Counselling Support: Counselling support specifically related to financial concerns is available through HAVEN as part of the Member Assistance Program (MAP). If you are in need of financial aid, please contact The AFC (at 1-877-399-8392) directly.
Anxiety about returning to work: No one can anticipate how they might feel while living and attempting to work during a global pandemic. Anxiety over health concerns is real. Immediate counselling and support is available through HAVEN Helpline. While working, productions are responsible for ensuring a safe work environment. If you have any concerns about your safety and the work conditions on set, safety concerns should first be reported to the Production:
- If your concerns are related to COVID-19, there will be a designated person responsible for enforcing the production’s COVID-19 health and safety policy. Check the call sheet for their contact information.
- If your issue concerns an intimate scene, assistance may be available from the intimacy coordinator if one has been engaged by the production.
- If this is an emergency, you have the right to refuse unsafe work. Provincial workplace health and safety legislation gives workers the right to refuse work they believe is unsafe to themselves or others. Workers who believe they are endangered by workplace violence may also refuse work. Please see your provincial workplace health and safety guidelines for the specific procedures to follow to establish a work refusal.
- You can also contact your ACTRA Branch or call HAVEN Helpline (1-855-201-7823) for assistance.
Support through LifeWorks by Morneau Shepell
COVID-19 information, resources and videos are available the LifeWorks platform. We’ve also included some helpful webinars below to help you navigate through this difficult time.
Webinar: Emotional Well-Being During the COVID-19 Pandemic (25 minutes)
Webinar: Talking to your child about Covid-19 (25 minutes)
Created by Morneau Shepell, WellCan™ is a free collection of digital resources to support the mental health of all Canadians during COVID-19. Through the growing collaboration of organizations, WellCan™ addresses challenges brought on by COVID-19 through an extensive database of information. There are a number of toolkits, articles, tips and infographics available on the WellCan app. The free app is available on Apple and Android devices. For desktop access, visit wellcan.ca
HAVEN Helpline is available for situations related to workplace harassment, violence and emergencies.
Examples of emergency situations include:
- harassment, bullying or violence;
- young performers working more than eight hours a day (under 12 years for the IPA; under 12 years and without permission for the NCA);
- unscheduled stunts or dangerous situations where stunt performers are not being used;
- unscripted nudity or sexual situations not outlined in a performer's contract; and
- working conditions where there is an immediate risk to health and/or safety.
For non-emergency situations, please call your branch.
Examples of non-emergency situations include:
- Upgrades, Cancellations, Postponements and Other Violations
- Getting Paid
- Signing Out
Feedback about HAVEN Helpline can be directed to email@example.com.
HAVEN Helpline is available to ACTRA and DGC members with the assistance of: