As we pass the one-year mark of being unfairly and illegally locked out by advertising agencies, we want to send solidarity to our siblings in the Writers Guild of America as they are engaged in bargaining with a strike deadline of May 2nd.
We are concerned that misinformation being shared on social media could interfere with our ability to negotiate an end to the lockout and caution members to only rely on information that comes directly from ACTRA.
We have some updates to share:
- As noted on Wednesday April 26, ACTRA will resume in-person negotiations with the ACA May 2-5 in Toronto.
- On April 10 we notified ACTRA members that Cossette signed a letter of continuance. That letter adheres to the terms of the 2017-2020 NCA, including Article 106, Extraordinary Circumstances (EC). Article 106 provides the ability, as needed to address commercials that require special consideration and is an organizing tool ACTRA has at its disposal to try to bring commercials under the ACTRA banner.
- A few of you have been inquiring about ECs and what those mean. In a recent EC, ACTRA Toronto staff were able to bring a non-union commercial into our jurisdiction by providing non-precedent setting and a one time only, changes to the engager.
- Extraordinary circumstance clauses help to promote a collaborative and cooperative relationship between ACTRA and an engager that was planning for months on using non-union performers. By allowing controlled and carefully considered flexibility in exceptional situations, ACTRA Toronto was able to work to find solutions that will get members back to work sooner.
- As we transition back to work and continue to organize non-union commercials, and as we welcome some agencies who have been shooting non-union back, we expect we may see additional EC requests that will be cautiously studied by staff.
- We continue with our Boycott of Union Busting Brands. If you haven’t already, please add your name to the letter writing campaign.
- Please like and share our posts and videos on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and TikTok.
- There is an in-person info-picket in Toronto on April 29, 2023. We welcome any Toronto members who can attend. Register here:
- When: Saturday April 29, 2023 – 11am-1pm
- Where: in front of H&R Block at the St. Lawrence Market (5 Market Street)
ACTRA’s National Council continues to stand in solidarity with PSAC as their strike continues across Canada and will oppose any back to work legislation. We understand that Canadian #WorkersCantWait.