Changes to qualifying work permits
ACTRA National Council unanimously passed a series of amendments to the ACTRA National By-Laws with the objective of growing the membership and offering security and stability to professional performers across the country.
The transition period for the implementation of the changes will run from September 15, 2022, to February 28, 2023. The amendments meet the needs of Canada’s thriving screen-based industry and reflect current standards and practices. To review the full text, please refer to the ACTRA National By-Laws.
Work Permit Fees (By-Law #3, Section II, 2): Qualifying work permits towards ACTRA membership are now capped at three (3) for non-members who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents. A non-member will not be eligible for any further work permits without the Branch/Local Union’s permission or in accordance with an exception noted in ACTRA’s Constitution if they elect not to join ACTRA on their third qualifying work permit.
Service Charges and Surcharges (By-Law #4, 1 a) and b)): A non-member who has reached their cap of three (3) qualifying work permits and elects not to join ACTRA will be required to pay a surcharge of an additional 100 per cent (100%) of the applicable work permit fee (increased from 50% of the work permit fee) should additional work permits be approved under extraordinary circumstances or in accordance with an exception noted in ACTRA’s Constitution.
- During the transition period (September 15, 2022, to February 28, 2023):
- Performers seeking a qualifying work permit under the National Commercial Agreement (NCA) who have previously worked on three (3) or more qualifying work permits will only be permitted to work if they become Full Members or qualify under exceptional or extraordinary circumstances. Their initiation fee will be reduced by the equivalent of the last two (2) permit fees paid (not including surcharges).
- Performers seeking qualifying work permits under our other agreements who have previously worked on three (3) or more qualifying work permits will be invited to join as Full members on their next qualifying work permit and have the equivalent of their last two applicable permit fees deducted from their Full member initiation fee. If they choose not to join, there is a maximum of three permits allowable during this transition period and surcharges will apply.
- After the transition period (March 1, 2023, onwards):
- Performers with three (3) or more qualifying work permits will be invited to join as Full members. Additional qualifying work permits will not be granted.
- Please note: additional qualifying work permits may be issued due to exceptional or extraordinary circumstances, as stipulated in our reciprocal agreements or in accordance with ACTRA’s Constitution.