ACTRA. You’re in Good Company
When you use professional performers, You’re in Good Company.
ACTRA actors say it better, and when you hire professional performers, you’re ensuring that your advertising is effective, memorable, and breakthrough. Having the best performers representing your brands delivers success for your clients and partners.
ACTRA performers meet a standard of skill, training, professionalism, and dedication to their craft. And this translates on screen when you produce commercials for TV, radio, digital and social media.
When you work with ACTRA performers, they can help you achieve maximum screen impact in the minimum time. Smart producers like yourself know that you can’t afford not to use professional performers!
Spotlight on Commercials
Canada’s best and most memorable commercial performances have one thing in common: they feature ACTRA talent.
Take a look at some of the great commercials featuring professional ACTRA performers:
Frito Lay ad by BBDO featuring some great dance moves by ACTRA Toronto members.
Shaw Mobile ad by Rethink featuring UBCP/ACTRA members Sehat Parmiss, Kurt Long and Jamall Johnson.
Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) ad by DonerNorth featuring ACTRA members Seth Drabinsky, Jonathan Nathaniel and Kim Nelson .
AirBnB ad by Jumpin Joe featuring our talented UBCP/ACTRA members.
WestJet ad by Rethink featuring some amazing ACTRA talent, including Jerald Bezener, Stephanie Moore, Devin Cecchetto and Issac Kragten.
hydraSense ad by BBDO featuring ACTRA members Deshay Padayachey and Marie Ward (narrator).
Bell Canada ad by LG2 featuring ACTRA Toronto Members members Danielle Ayow, Farid Yazdani and Patrick Kwok-Choon (narrator).
Resources for Advertisers
Interested in hiring ACTRA talent for your commercial production? Here are some resources to get you started:
|ACTRA’s commercial contract||Find out the cost to hire ACTRA talent||Find a performer|
Have a question or need help? Please contact your ACTRA Branch.
Additional Information & Documents
AuditionsHere’s a quick summary of some things to keep in mind when it’s time to audition.
- Audition sign-in time sheets Part A, must be completed at every audition. See below.
- The 1st audition: if Performer is dismissed within one hour of their call time – there is no compensation.
- In your first audition, if you are detained beyond one hour, the rate is $84.50/$86.00/$87.50 per hour or part thereof.
- For the 2nd and subsequent auditions (under 1 hour), the callback fee is $50. If detained beyond 1 hour you receive an additional $25 per half hour.
- Producers are required to fax audition sign in sheets to ACTRA within 48 hrs. of the audition.
- It is the Engagers’ responsibility to pay callback auditions fees to ACTRA within 20 days of the date of the audition.
- No gang casting allowed (auditioning multiple performers for same role at same time).
- A Performer “hold” (as a tentative booking device) is not permitted.
Preference of EngagementUnder the terms of the NCA, preference of engagement is given to members of ACTRA (including full, apprentice, and ACTRA Additional Background Performer members)
- If after auditions the Engager establishes that a Performer of the type required is not available within the ACTRA membership, upon provision by the Engager to ACTRA of details of all Performers auditioned or considered, ACTRA shall issue a work permit for the engagement of a Canadian non-member in a commercial.
- Please be sure to refer to the terms of Section 7 regarding permitting non-resident performers.
Intent to ProducePrior to Production, the Engager is responsible for submitting a completed Intent to Produce (App. C below) to their nearest ACTRA office. Pre-Production Paperwork
- Intent to Produce
- Intent to Produce (exclusions only)
- Parental Audition Consent
- Declaration of Parent in the Engagement of Minors
- Chaperone Form and Emergency Medical Authorization Form
- Minors' Trust Deductions
- Commercial Work Permit Application (NCA)
Agreements & Rates
- 2017-2020 National Commercial Agreement
- 2017-NCA Memorandum of Settlement for Ratification
- 2017-2020 National Commercial Agreement Errata
- ACTRA Commercial Cost Estimator
- ACTRA-Online Opportunity Pilot Project (AOPP)
- Transfer of Rights
- Joint Bulletin Digital Media Use
- Background Performers Reference – Industry Markers
- Accident on Set Outside of Canada – NCA bulletin
Contract & PaymentsContract Performers should be provided with their contract prior to the commencement of their work session. Contracts must be completed in full. Check that production info, dates, and work hours are accurate. At the end of the work session, Performers should sign and take a photo of their completed contract upon completion of their session and E-mail the photo to their ACTRA Branch.
- Performer Contract: NCA Performance Contract 2017-2020 (available on request)